Relative to other contact centers, 311 centers are very young, appearing in the United States just over 20 years ago. Since that time, citizens now need to connect through multiple and more modern channels — email, apps, websites and phones, each adding another layer of complexity.
At this 311 center, incoming calls can vary greatly, from garbage pickup and building permits, to parking tickets, animal control and graffiti. Agents must be knowledgeable about a wide range of topics, and be able to execute 400 different types of service requests. Training programs were 12 weeks long and packed full of constantly changing information.
On top of this, they were struggling to manage their information. Frequent department changes impacted how different service requests were handled, and company processes changed constantly. It was impossible to keep up with the changes, and employees quite often were working with out of date information.
“This is one of the easiest products I’ve used in my call center career and we have seen immediate improvements in the center. It’s easy to set up, maintain and use. Our training immediately was reduced by two weeks, our agents use it every day and we have fewer errors. The staff support at ProcedureFlow is first class!”
Given the large investment required in training, the center’s Operations and Training managers wanted to focus their efforts on reducing training time and getting their agents up to speed as fast as possible. Leveraging ProcedureFlow, they reduced training time from 12 weeks down to 6 immediately after implementation. This transformation was also able to reduce trainer preparation time, and refresher training for all employees by 50%.
With ProcedureFlow, employees had a guide for every type of scenario they would encounter with residents that gave them the confidence they needed to succeed. This contributed to an improvement in quality scores for every area that started using ProcedureFlow. This also solved their challenge of managing information, by eliminating duplication of data, and storing everything in one central location.
Each of these changes had a big impact to the center’s operations, and in one year alone they were able to reduce their operating costs by 7.6%, a $337,000 savings. The center is now looking for other areas of the business which can also benefit from using ProcedureFlow. While management evaluates the next best place to implement ProcedureFlow, this 311 center is already enjoying the many benefits:
- Training time reduced from 12 weeks down to 6 weeks — a 50% reduction
- Trainer preparation and refresher training reduced by 50%
- 7.6% reduction to operating costs, $337,000 in savings
- Processes and procedures are easier to manage and can be created faster
- Procedures are mapped out in easy to follow, step-by-step instructions improving consistency across all agents
- Agents can reach full proficiency faster and take live calls sooner
- There are fewer support calls and agents are meeting quality targets faster
- Response time to citizens has decreased
- Agents can provide more accurate and up-to-date information to citizens